Posted by: sebion | July 3, 2011

Sensor boards going into a little mass production…


After messing up with the TWI(I2C) protocoll it was time for me to midify the entire keyboard. Oh you can’t imagine how impatient I was about having my entire keyboard to play. So first I build a very sloppy UV exposure device out of UV-LEDs. you can see the result here:

 

and here you can see it working on the sensor PCBs:

 

The finished PCBs looked like that:

Now it was soldering time. As you can imagine soldering 11 of those boards (okay it were only ten since there already was one prototype) is a very lasting exercise so when i got finished 4 of them I took some photos:

not letting the beauty of my work distract me I continued soldering and soldering and…. finally:

  

What happened then was a little disappointing: I had to find out that there went something wrong with the PCBs. I designed the power supply traces to narrow for the 88 IR LEDs sucking about 1.6 A, which caused a voltage loss in the sensor chain such that I had to add a further supply lines in the middle of the chain and some wires on each PCS to support the traces.

Finally I made the sensor chain work and it was time to mount it:

 (I excuse for the bad image quality)

 In order to make the sensor bar work with the keys a reflection tag had to be mounted to each key:

  This is my working table where I put the reflection strips at the keys. I’m sure you can estimate its WAF considering that its placed in my living room :P

So now it was time to play the piano exploring the next _issue_ to be solved… while my dog just tried to sleep:

About these ads

Responses

  1. […] Steppeler] has been hard at work on his optical sensors for an electric piano. When we looked in on the project back in October he was testing reflective sensors to increase […]

  2. […] Steppeler] has been hard at work on his optical sensors for an electric piano. When we looked in on the project back in October he was testing reflective sensors to increase […]

  3. […] Steppeler] has been hard at work on his optical sensors for an electric piano. When we looked in on the project back in October he was testing reflective sensors to increase […]

  4. […] Steppeler] has been hard at work on his optical sensors for an electric piano. When we looked in on the project back in October he was testing reflective sensors to increase […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: